Watch the Emerging Fijian cicada (Nanai), once every 8 years! Come join us for the amazing and extraordinary event of the emergence of the Nanai (Raiateana knowlesi) in the forest of Fiji.
We are organising four trips.
Please state clearly the dates you want to join in your email.
- Friday 6th – Return on Saturday 7th October
- Saturday 7th – Return on Sunday 8th October
- Monday 9th – Return on Tuesday 10th October (public holiday)
- Saturday 14th – Return on Sunday 15th October
- Depart Suva 3.30pm. (approx one hour travel time)
- Depart the next day from Garrick Reserve 7.30am
Come join us for the amazing and extraordinary event of the emergence of the Nanai (Raiateana knowlesi) in the forest of Fiji.
The Nanai larvae make their way up from the soil where they have lived for eight long years as Nymphs. They will dig their way out to emerge into the air for the first time, undergoing an incredible change to become adults.
The amazing cicadas only have a few short weeks as adults. In this short time they must attract a mate.
The male will begin singing to attract a female and when a pair meet and mate, eggs are laid in the trees.
The adults soon die but the next life-cycle begins when larvae drop off the trees and into the ground, to re-emerge in 2025!
Limited to 10 participants per trip.
Cost $80 for NatureFiji-MareqetiViti members. Minimum Age: 15+ years. (sorry no kids, as the terrain is rough)
Payment MUST be made to secure a place.
There have been last minute cancellations or no shows on past activities, depriving other participants a place. Please understand we are an NGO and the funds collected are needed to support our conservation work.
Contact: email@example.com Tel: 310 0598
or Nunia at 929 1758 or Sereana 847 9409
Participants must be willing to camp and rough it out. There are no amenities, the bush is your toilet!
Good hiking fitness needed as we walk from transport drop-off to the campsite and then a longer hike from campsite to the ridge. It’s slippery and it’s dark during the uphill and downhill hike.
- Transportation will be provided.
- You may have to meet at a designated place to be picked up.
- Anyone who can bring a four wheel drive will be greatly appreciated.
More information on where to meet and what to bring will be sent to participants later.