Funded through the Darwin Initiative, NatureFiji-MareqetiViti and BirdLife International have been working with the Fiji Department of Forests since 2014 to:
1. Engage pre-selected forest resource owners in the sustainable management of their forest using the tools of Socio-economic surveys, ‘Toolkit for Ecosystem Services Site based assessment” (TESSA), the Fiji Forest Harvesting Code of Practice (2013) and Biodiversity monitoring (World Bird and Biodiversity Database);
2. Facilitate pre-selected forest resource owners to make informed decisions on the management of their forests through site-exchange programs and communications of case studies of forest stewardship by iTaukei landowners; and thereby,
3. Implement the Fiji Forest Policy and build a framework towards the establishment of Permanent Forest Estates and Sustainably Managed Forests through a collaborative and scientific approach with all stakeholders, especially the iTaukei landowners.
The Fiji Forest Policy Statement (2007) on Permanent Forest Estates:
A Permanent Forest Cover including protected forest area network that provides the full range of ecological, economic and social functions at the local, national and global level (Fiji Forest Policy Section 3 page 19).
To ensure Sustainable Forest Management (SFM) and taking into account the multiple role of the forest, a sufficient area must be determined as Permanent Forest Estate (FFPS Section 4.3(3)).
Establish PFEs based on Forest Functions derived from National Forest Inventory in line with the National Rural Land Use Policy and stakeholder interest
PFE established as an area designated for SFM which shall not be converted to other land uses. Forests with high biological diversity and environmental values will be set aside for protection within a National Protected Area System
No NET Loss of Fiji’s forest – the forest is managed
1. Culanuku, Serua
2. Nabukelevu Village, Serua
3. Wainawa Village, Rewa
4. Korovuli Village, Macuata
5. Natewa/Tunuloa Peninsular
6. Naselesele Village, Taveuni, Cakaudrove
7. Lavena Village, Taveuni, Cakaudrove
8. Somosomo Village, Taveuni, Cakaudrove
9. Navakawau Village, Taveuni, Cakaudrove