A Fruit Dove in a Mango Tree!
We at NatureFiji-MareqetiViti wish to share with you our journey through the 12 days of Christmas! Why don’t you join us each for for some fun facts on Fijian wildlife, and sing along to the tune of “The Twelve Days of Christmas”!
On the first day of Christmas NFMV shared with me:
A fruit dove in a mango tree.
Who doesn’t love eating mangoes and watching beautiful birds?
For our first day of Christmas we are going to share a healthy mango smoothie recipe, full of vitamins for the whole family. It is mango season!
Our beautiful fruit doves also love fruit!
Here are some Fascinating Fruit Dove Facts:
- We have five species of beautiful fruit doves here in Fiji:
- the many-coloured fruit-dove;
- the whistling dove (or yellow-headed fruit dove) which is only found on Kadavu and Ono;
- the golden dove;
- the orange dove; and
- the crimson crowned dove;
Our fruit doves are quite small (only about 20cm from beak to tail) –
- much less than a school ruler;
- They have short, fan-shaped tails;
- They are colourful and very beautiful (especially the males);
- Males and females look very different;
- They are shy and not easy to see;
- They live in forest; and
- They mostly eat small fruit!
Mango, ginger and banana smoothie recipe
It is mango season, our favourite time of year! If you like fruit, you will LOVE our tasty, healthy mango, ginger and banana smoothie recipe.
You will need :
- 2 large mangoes (sliced and chopped),
- 2 small bananas or one large banana (chopped),
- chopped fresh ginger (to taste),
- 1 glass of fruit juice,
- two LARGE spoonfuls of yoghurt (optional)
- two ice cubes (optional)
- a passion fruit (if available)
1. Blend and whiz all ingredients together (except for passion fruit)
2. Pour into 2 large or 4 small glasses
3. Slice passion fruit and top smoothies with seeds
4. Relax and Enjoy!
Join us tomorrow to meet a friendly Fijian bird!! See you then!
Oh, and there are some activities for children in these twelve days of Christmas!
So be ready for some colouring and mask making fun!