Happy World Wetlands Day Fiji!
World Wetlands Day Theme for 2016: Sustainable Livelihoods
All of us depend on wetlands to supply freshwater for our daily needs, but more than one billion people around the world depend directly on wetlands to earn an income through activities such as; fishing, rice growing, selling water, construction, weaving, medicine, transport and tourism etc. For these people, healthy wetlands are essential for
their livelihoods and vital for their wellbeing.
Yet coastal, marine and inland wetlands are declining fast. Approximately 40% have been degraded in just over 40 years according to the Wetland Extent Trend and this decline is continuing at an accelerated rate of 1.5% annually.
How can you help us celebrate World Wetlands Day for 2016?
- Please help publicize WWD 2016 and encourage youth to participate in the Wetland Photo Contest that runs from 2 February to 2 March 2016.
- Consider acting as a local organizer of wetland site visits for youth and/or hold educational events targeting other groups.
- Please register your event on the World Wetlands Day event map so that others can see your work too.
- Post your stories onto our FaceBook page.
- You can download Teacher and Organizer guides from the Ramsar website.